Tuesday, July 8, 2008

To Board or Not To Board...now that's a silly question!




You KNOW I couldn't just go snowboarding once. I mean really...I lugged all this gear to the desert so I'd better use it, right?! This time I had company...well, company in a couple ways.

First, the Canadian had never snowboarded and wanted to give it a try. Funny isn't it? It's okay, go ahead and laugh...his instructor sure did! But in Canada's defense, he played hockey and if you're from the Northern climes you know that if you're in one snow/winter sport there's really no time to be in any of the others...okay, now you can resume the laughing.

Second, apparently I also flew half way around the world to suck. On my second run of the night a ski patrol guy, Toofic, (no, I'm not making up that name) came up to me and asked, very respectfully, if I would mind receiving a couple of pointers on my technique. (Now here's where the girls have to be a bit careful, cuz sometimes a "pointer" could be something totally different!) Uh...okay...sure, what's up?

Let the 1 1/2 hour private snowboarding lesson by a Lebanese snow pro begin!
(Yes Doug...I said Lebanese and your joke still isn't funny.) We did alignment drills, speed drills, and do it "really wrong" so you almost die drills until my time ran out on the electronic card. THEN, he just had me bypass the ropes and get directly on the lift so we could keep going. Just one more thing...just one more thing...wow...guess I needed more work than I thought!

All in all, it was an amazing lesson and I WAS boarding faster and more confidently than I ever have and doing jumps I wouldn't have tried an hour before. So, a big thanks to Ski Dubai for teaching the Canadian and Coloradan a thing or two about snow sports!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So -
now you make
The Most Beautiful
"S"s ever???
- Ray
Went half way around the world AND to the desert - to learn how to snowboard better ????
- So Confused...

Anonymous said...

Back to the weather, for just a moment . . .

Now here is a phrase I have never seen under
“Hourly Observations” – for today, in Dubai, UAE:

1:00 PM 111 °F . . . Widespread Dust

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/OMSJ/2008/7/8/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

No wonder you are snowboarding.......
- Ray
Warm here - 'dust'...

Anonymous said...

OK...so you are my one and only friend who would take their snowboard to the desert and get a lesson from a Lebanese guy at the indoor mall ski slope in Dubai...really...the only one...AWESOME!!!!!

Doug said...

pttttthhh.
:P

Phelps said...

Come on! Not fair to allude to "Doug's Lebanese joke" without filling in the blanks! (Unless the UAE censors, or Grandma would disapprove. I can't imagine Grandma disapproving of any joke.)

Gail said...

Flash forward five years on a black diamond slope at Vail: Cute guy: "Hey, you're a pretty good boarder!" Taunya: "Thanks! I was just 'good' until I got a great lesson from a Lebanese guy in the middle of the Arabian desert!" (What an ice breaker!)

De-Icer said...

OK so did you pack your 'Giant's Ridge I'm easy T-shirt' ??? Tee hee. What an amazing experience! Live it up girl!

Anonymous said...

alright ill jus have to coe down this winter and see if your really as good as yousay you are lol... but that sounds like alot of fun and a really fun experience.

Taunya said...

Oh...don't get me wrong...I'm not saying I'm good. I'm just saying I suck LESS now than I did before.
;-)