Friday, July 11, 2008

Let’s go to the Mall!

In Dubai, shopping is the National Sport. There’s even an entire month dedicated to consumerism, called “The Dubai Shopping Festival.” In the UAE, you can’t swing a dead sand cat without hitting a shopping area. Currently Mall of the Emirates is the 3rd largest mall in the world, and when the currently under construction Dubai Mall opens it's doors, it will be the Mothership...the Largest in the World!

Back home, I am not really a “mall person” so at first I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. But as much as I fought it, I’m starting to prefer malls to the traditional Souks (vendor street markets). It seems Robin Sparkles sang it best, “the mall is where it’s at.”

Here’s my list of why I go to the mall:

* Air Conditioning
* Ski Dubai – for ultra air conditioning
* Great food – and not that craptastic food court stuff either! We’re talking REALLY good food... in REALLY nice restaurants from all over the world. I even happened upon an Iron Chef contest hosted by the National Culinary Association in the main area of a mall.
* Pharmacy – for all my après boarding needs, like Advil.
* Ski Dubai
* The Ice Bar - cool enough to induce it's own ice cream headache.

* Starbucks/Caribou Coffee – yes, they both have stores here.
* Ski Dubai
* Movie theatres - with actual movies that are releasing at the same time as in the US.
* Ski Dubai
* People watching – We’re talking all different cultures with people dressed like Baywatch bikini girls all the way to full on Islamic Burka coverups.

Oh, and did I mention this cute little place called Ski Dubai? So anytime you want to join me, let’s meet at the Mall!

4 comments:

Tiners said...

Will there be a surcharge on anything you bring when you come back over to the states? Are you restricted on what you can bring back?
Jeff and I really enjoy reading your blog! How much longer are you there?
Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh damn! Now I CAN'T go to Ski Dubai . . . I'm not sure even that would get me into a mall . . . but the air conditioning might.

Hmmmm . . . I'll have to think about it.

Taunya said...

Two more weeks of Dubai-related fun and then it's back to the States. :-)

Anonymous said...

Bring me a Happy Birthday from Dubai thing!! :-) Gosh, what a trip--I am SO happy for you...you little mall rat, you!!! Ski slope at the mall...what will the think of next...the ice bar would ROCK here in MN right now given that it's 90 with 1000% humidity...