Friday, July 11, 2008

DOLPHINS!!!



For those of you who were sick of me doing sand-related activities. How do you feel about swimming with dolphins?

Well, I LOVED IT!!! Bet you couldn't tell from the giant smile I have pasted all over my face in these pictures, huh?!

The Dubai Dolphinarium (yeah...I'm not sure if it's really a word either...) opened just over a month ago. In addition to the usual Sea World-type shows with seals and dolphins, they have a "swim with dolphins" program too. When I read about this in my new weekly cultural happenings bible, "Time Out - Dubai edition" I jumped on the phone and scheduled a time slot.

There were two options for swimming:
1) Private - SPENDY at 1500 Dirhams per person
2) Mixed Group - a bargain at 350 Dirhams per person

What I've learned...if you are here in the hottest months of the year, i.e., June, July, August sign up for the group cuz more likely than not you're gonna be the only one crazy enough to be in the city.

The Canadian and I showed up for our allotted group time expecting to be able to maybe touch a dolphin. Instead our group consisted of 3 adults and one little kid. As soon as we were in our swim suits the trainer said "Hop IN!"

Ya don't have to tell me twice...into the water I went...and didn't come out for 1/2 an hour! These three dolphins were the biggest sweeties I've ever seen. We got to pet them, do handshakes, ride them and rub their tummies (which they love, just like dogs!). One of them kept "sneaking" up on me (see the pic on the right above) and bumping me with her nose so I would swim with her.

As further proof that (like Colorado) nobody's actually FROM here...the dolphins and their trainer are originally from the Ukraine and were transferred from a resort that closed.

Now I have 3 major events checked off the Life List and I've still got 2 more weeks to go. I think we're all wondering the same question...what's next?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed -
so how many items remain on the Life List?

That does look like
Great Fun...

- Ray

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH THAT IS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!! I am SOooooo jealous :-)

Missing you but really enjoying reading your blog - I bet you are having a great time!

Hugs
Carolee

Anonymous said...

Bet you never thought your life list would have so many check marks on it from DUBAI!!!!

Phelps said...

I have heard that male dolphins often get amorous when swimming with women. You mentioned a girl. Were either of the others boys, and did you encounter any unsolicited attention from him?

Anonymous said...

This post begs the question, what CAN'T you do in Dubai?!