Thursday, July 24, 2008

Goodbye Dubai








I have officially run out of time here in Dubai and now it's time to pack up and fly home. This is a bittersweet parting between feeling excited to get home to my friends, family and loved ones and feeling sad at leaving all my new Emirates friends. But there's GOOD NEWS!

I have run out of time, but not out of writing! There are still blog posts to finish before the "Dubai Chronicles" are complete. So until I can finish I'll leave you with this one...

Leaving the Bubble

One of my first posts was about the "Bubble Life" and the difference between the Haves and Have Nots in this society. For example, on the fringe of the city I literally pass a herd of camels every day that are out to pasture in the area across from our building.

I asked myself...Where do they come from? Who watches over them day and night? And, being me, I went to find out...

Look at the pictures above any time you think you've gotten a raw deal because somebody took the last blueberry bagel on the all-you-can-eat buffet. I pulled over on the side of the road and got out of the car. I met the two camel shepards and they showed me around, including the camel pens that comprise the only home they know as the city continues to close in around them. The structure these men live in is a former plastic water container. The camel pens are actually better than the human accomodations. These men treated me better than most of the "upperclass" I've encountered here. The shepards barely spoke English, but out of politeness and honor they welcomed me immediately. I was offered tea and what little food they had for themselves. I took pictures of the surroundings, but they declined to be photographed because there was no water to clean up with...they had to save it for the camels to drink. I gave them 20 Dirhams for the tour...more than they make in a week and less than I spend on a Starbuck's latte and made my way back to the city.

When I left the shepards to go back to my host company paid "thank you for training us" present of a 5-star Villa (a place I'd NEVER be able to afford if I had to pay for it) I almost felt ashamed of it. I have been very blessed personally and professionally. I'm still amazed that this Iowa farm girl has been PAID to wake up and play in the Middle East for the last 6 weeks. Every time I go places and experience awesomeness...both big and small...I am thankful.

Goodbye Dubai.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe trip home...

And thanks for
posting this blog!

- Ray
Stuck "State-Side"...

Gail said...

Ah, the end always comes too soon. I've enjoyed your blog tremendously and am grateful for this peek into the 'other side of the world' for this short time. I've loved your view of things and sense of humor, and I'm impressed by your unstoppable sense of adventure. Thanks for sharing this with us Taunya!

Unknown said...

Have a safe trip home, we can't wait to see you!

Tiners said...

Ah! I am very proud of you! I am glad you enjoyed your time there and that you were able to soak everything in - including the sand. Having been "Iowa grown" also I truly appreciate the adventures you take. Absolutely love reading your blog! If you start another one you will have to let me know. Have a safe trip home! LYB! Tiners

Anonymous said...

Awww...you nearly made me cry...it's nice to see that people are grateful and understand the whole picture of your world and the one you are leaving...it's a view that many will never develop...and you have just enhanced yours exponentially...I've loved reading of your adventures...can't wait to see the pictures...we'll get together that first week in August when you are in MN...I have your number...have a safe trip.

Phelps said...

We'll be glad to have you back in the U.S.

Can't wait to see the scrap book that comes from this!